Friday, February 22, 2008

chapter 5

Chapter 5 examines how to use and integrate digital media and educational software applications into the classroom curriculum, these are technologies that allow users to create new forms of interaction, expression, communication, and entertainment in a digital format. It discussed how terms like technology, multimedia, and digital media have evolved over the years. Then, it talked about the elements used in (and the variety of) digital media applications and the growing popularity of distance learning. Next, it discussed educational software applications and how to create and present digital media presentations. Finally, I learned the value of effectively integrated digital media software as used in education.

This week’s assignment was on Microsoft PowerPoint. I already knew how to use it, but having to make a slideshow for a potential class made me put a much greater effort into my presentation. I tried very hard to make it both fun and educational. Since we had certain requirements to meet for the completion of the assignment, I found myself learning new tricks on PowerPoint that I didn’t even know about, like the notes section and the hyperlink and spell-check aspects of it. I also played around with clip art, pictures, background settings, and font styles and colors. It was really fun to do this assignment and I learned a lot in the process, I just can’t wait to try it out in my own classroom one day!

Because we didn’t have class this past Wednesday I thought we would get a bit of free time, but I was wrong and kind of bummed at first, but I think the way the lesson was handled was really great. Although it got a bit annoying after awhile watching those videos about power point, I did find several of them to be both interesting and educational, which is good! I am usually not a fan of the Internet-based learning, but in this case, it worked out well and I am impressed.

No comments: